If your child is starting Foundation (Prep) in 2024, you will be able to apply to enrol your child in a Victorian government primary school from the start of Term 2, 2023 (Monday 24th April 2023).
What you need to do:
- Use Find my School to locate your designated neighbourhood school (referred to as your local school) and read about enrolling in a school. Please note school zones for 2024 will be available in late Term 1, 2023.
- Contact the school to book a school tour or attend one of the Open Sessions in Education Week or simply to learn more about the school and the enrolment application process.
- Download the ‘Foundation (Prep) Enrolment Information Pack for Parents/Carers for the 2024 school year' (available to download from the start of Term 2, 2023).
- Submit an enrolment application for Foundation (Prep) by Friday 28th July 2023.
- You will be notified of the outcome of your application by Friday 11th August 2023. If you receive an offer of placement, you should accept the offer by Friday 25th August 2023.
- Take part in enrolment information and transition sessions during Term 4, 2023.
- Your child will start Foundation (Prep) from Thursday 3rd February 2024.
Enrolment applications submitted after 28th July 2023 will be processed by the school as they are received, in accordance with the Department’s Placement Policy.
Your child has a right to enrol at their local school. Your child’s local school is determined on the basis of their permanent residential address. Visit Find my School to locate your child’s local school. The enrolling in a school page can also help you to confirm your child’s address for enrolment.
If you are seeking to apply to enrol your child in a school that is not their local school, you should read about school zones and how they work and how applications are prioritised using the Department’s Placement Policy found on the enrolling in a school page.
A fact sheet, including a detailed timeline, is available here.